How to complain about a builder




When you can't get your service provider to address your complaint, Complaintline helps with how to complain and get results


Some States have specialist building regulators and tribunals with dispute resolution processes. You can also contact your state or territory office of Consumer Affairs, Fair Trading or Consumer Protection.


The Housing Industry Association (HIA) and the Masters Builders of Australia (MBA) are the main associations for builders. They will take complaints about members, but their primary obligation is to the member. You can check a builder's membership by ringing the state or territory offices of the association.


For complaints about architects





Environment, Planning and Sustainable Development Directorate - Planning

The authority’s functions include building regulation, leasing, land information, planning based research, and street and suburb name information.

Contact options

Make a complaint

Other useful information:



Fair Trading ACT





(for Southern NSW see also ACT)


Department of Fair Trading

Resolving building disputes

Other useful information:


Master Builders Association

Master Builders Association Code of Ethics





Office of Consumer Affairs

Residential Building Disputes


NT Building Practitioners Board





Queensland Building and Construction Commission

Contact options

Building complaints


Master Builders Association
Master Builders Queensland: Code of Conduct

Queensland Code of Practice for the Building and Construction Industry (2013)


Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal

About the role of the tribunal in building disputes

Contact options

Make a complaint





Office of Consumer Affairs & Fair Trading

Resolving building disputes





Office of Consumer & Business Affairs

Complaints about builders


Master Builders Association

Master Builders SA Code of Ethics




Domestic Building Dispute Resolution Victoria (DBDRV)

Contact options

Dispute resolution process


Master Builders Association

Master Builders Association of Victoria Code of Ethics


Building Practitioners Board





Consumer Protection - Building Commission

Building complaints


State Administrative Tribunal (SAT) - Building disputes

SAT can review the decisions of the Building Commission, and the Building Commissioner also can refer matters to SAT.







Complaintline has been run as a community service since 2000. Every effort is made to ensure that the information on this website is correct. Complaintline will not accept any responsibility for information which is inadvertently incorrect and/or where action has been taken as a result of the information on this site or any site it links to. More


Copyright 2000-2021 Complaintline (a Scott Concepts initiative)