How to get help to resolve a neighbourhood dispute




When you can't get your service provider to address your complaint, Complaintline helps with how to complain and get results




The Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria (DSCV)

The DSCV's service is free - it offers advice and tips for dealing with matters yourself.

The Centre also provides neutral, objective mediators to help you resolve disputes of any size or complexity. Here are just some of the issues it can help with: fences, trees and gardens, noise, body corporate issues, problems with people's behaviour, shared households, animal behaviour, parking and other issues relating to entry to your land.

Contact options

Other useful information:




Community Justice Centres

These Centres provide free mediation and conflict management services to help people resolve disputes. Funded by the NSW Government as part of the NSW Attorney General's Department, the services are confidential, voluntary, timely, easy to use - and provided throughout NSW.

Types of disputes the Centres handle: neighbours - fences, trees, noise, pets, children, access, music families - separating couples, extended families, parents and children, carers business - with clients, contractors, quality of/payment for work done civil and small claims matters workplace - relationships, non-industrial matters between and within communities - residential, school, social, business, service, sporting

Contact options

Other useful information:





Dispute Resolution Branch, Department of Justice

Free and confidential mediation services are supplied by the Branch's dispute resolution centres. Most common issues dealt with:

Contact options

Other useful information:





Community Mediation Services

Community Mediation Services provides free alternative dispute resolution Services, including mediation, to residents across South Australia who are involved in neighbourhood and community disputes. The mediation process encourages people who are in conflict to explore options together, to reach a mutually acceptable agreement. Services include: Animals, Behaviour, Encroachment, Fences and Boundaries, Landlord and Tenant, Noise, Property Damage, Personal family disputes, Retaining Walls, Storm Water, Strata Titles, Trees & Hanging Branches, Water Drainage

Contact options

Other useful information:





Useful information on the website of the Hobart Community Legal Service

Neighbouhood issues fact sheet put out by Legal Aid Tasmania





Useful information on the Legal Aid Western Australia site

Citizens Advice Bureau - Community Mediation





Complaintline has been run as a community service since 2000. Every effort is made to ensure that the information on this website is correct. Complaintline will not accept any responsibility for information which is inadvertently incorrect and/or where action has been taken as a result of the information on this site or any site it links to. More


Copyright 2000-2021 Complaintline (a Scott Concepts initiative)